Tuesday 21 February 2012

Sweet Soul Music


When people talk about the best music of their youth the key factor always seems to be the phrase 'I listened to that song over and over again' followed by a detailed story of how they spent an entire summer locked way in their room/creepy attic/sex dungeon listening to that one track non-stop. Usually it's some embarrassing eighties atrocity that everyone up to and including the original artist would rather forget. I'm looking at you Phil Collins. However I arrive at the whole 'music of my larval stage' thing from another angle entirely. The song I listened to more than any other through out my childhood was this one.

Fuck. Yeah.

That is the music from the first stage of Sonic the Mother-Fucking Hedgehog, yo! I can honestly say I have never before or since spent as much time on a single level of a game. I had to take that music off of my mp3 player as it fills me with an overwhelming urge to sprint like a lunatic. It's not alone either. The most heart-breaking melody I know is this one...

... I promised myself I wouldn't cry...

… Sorry if that stirred up some painful emotions... Damn you Sephiroth she didn't need to die... WHY!?! Anyway the reason I wanted to talk about these bitchin' tunes... sorry the nostalgia made me go a little bit nineties... is because they have been, in my opinion, unfairly dismissed. They never turn up on 'Top 90s' compilations, despite being more universal, more personal and more emotionally charged than anything *Nsync could ever even secretly dream of. I've been carrying he burden of *Nsync hate for a while... feels good that off my chest, I actually have to admit that Mr Timberlake is indeed quite the triple-threat... I've meandered a bit haven't I. Oh that's right computer game music charted many more triumphs than the standard fair ever could. I have saved countless princesses, worlds and universes to these tunes, they stir up more emotions and memories than November Pissing Rain ever will. Those emotions range from the ridiculously joyful...


… to the strangely melancholy...


… to the plain terrifying...


… So next time someone asks you what your favourite music was as a child answer truthfully and say that it was the fucking righteous Tetris music.


eddie <there is a song of storms dubstep mix on youtube... it is awesome>

No comments:

Post a Comment